Fall is finally here. For many of us, this means the return to school and work.
But for others, fall also signals a time of healing.
Many people are looking forward to the crisp air that comes with autumn because it reminds them of better days.
The changing colors in nature can evoke feelings of hope and renewal even when you’re feeling down about life’s circumstances. Dressing in classic fall pieces like plaid flannels, sweaters, boots, scarves, and other cold-weather essentials can help exude confidence while promoting healing during these tough times – not just for ourselves but for those around us, as well.
Fall is all about being cozy so take some time to indulge yourself this season by incorporating these classics into your wardrobe.
Many women love a cozy sweater but overall feel that autumn fashion does not look elegant. They see it as “homey” if anything. This is often due to the fact that they do not understand autumn color theory and do not know how to match autumn clothes with other autumn accessories that are classic to create that leveled-up look.
Now autumn fashion includes many different types of clothing for women, but the most important thing is to be able to identify fall color tones and use them as a healing process not only as an on-trend style focus.
As a finance therapist that specializes in women, one key element of healing for anyone is how they present themselves to the world. That is an indicator of how they feel about themselves, and a barometer of how others might treat them.
Colors can be emotionally healing, such as red autumn color, which is associated with autumn as the season of harvest and thus has a joyous character. In autumn clothes such as shoes, bags, autumn earrings, and autumn scarves you can see autumn colors like red, yellow, and orange. As autumn fashion includes clothing that is made from natural fabrics such as cotton or silk it looks very rich.
Autumn red can be a healing color because as mentioned, autumn is the time for harvest. This autumn color can help us to look self-confident and powerful – fall-inspired clothes in autumn colors such as red, orange, autumn browns, and autumn greens will make you look wealthy. Looking wealthy is a mindset, not superficial or empty. It’s about the wealth within. Sure, it’s easy to just toss on your favorite sweatshirt, and trust me, I do that more often than I’d like to admit, but on a cool fall day, if you are not working out, why not “turn out” with something that makes you look and feel special?
Many people associate fall with pumpkin spice lattes, bonfires, and football. But for me, it’s all about fashion. I see fashion as art. While I also get plenty of professional journals, I also await my next issue of Vogue, with excitement.
Dressing in favorite fall classics helps my clients to exude confidence and promote healing.
Fall is also a great time to experiment with new colors like burgundy or mustard yellow without any risk of them clashing with your wardrobe when summer rolls around again.
Here are seven ways you can affordably dress in fall classics this season and how they can help you balance your mood:
- Shop for off-the2-rack pieces that fit well – You may not be able to alter the size of an item if it doesn’t fit perfectly, but there are so many beautiful styles out there that will work for anybody. Off-the-rack simply means shopping at a traditional department store. Often there are sales that you can grab and item for a discount or, to be safer in the pandemic, consider the sale link on various online stores. This helps your mood because even if you window shop, you will find it exciting and creative to browse.
- Find affordable items at thrift stores. There are independent stores as well as nonprofits like “Goodwill” as well as hospital thrift shops if you are looking for a little more in the way of formal clothing or accessories. This helps your mood because you’ll be feeling like you are uncovering treasures.
- Check your closet – If you’re looking for a way to update your wardrobe on a budget, start by checking out what you already own. This is a mood booster because you’ll probably clean, rearrange and find hidden gems that you forgot about, or find new ways of mixing and matching what you already have if you focus on a purpose and goal.
- Layer old and new or summer and fall. Fall clothes are perfect for layering so if you have pieces that can be worn now or layered later, this could be an easy way to get some new looks without spending much money at all. Layering is an act of creativity and this helps you by balancing your mood as it rewires you for problem-solving. The act of seeking solutions is like a muscle and by cathartically creating something enjoyable, you are primed when the challenging situations surface.
- Keep it simple – A great way to try something new without investing too much money is by doing one piece at a time. Pick one item and play around with items you already have. You don’t have to go crazy. Honestly, I’d rather you buy less or none at all. I plan on not purchasing anything just mixing and matching what I have, but if I do purchase, it will be one key item that I feel I can’t resist. While I’ve seen a lot of items I think are beautiful, none have kept me up at night pining after them. If you do find an item make sure it is a statement or a classic you can keep year after year.
- Invest in shoes. Footwear is one of the easiest ways to change up your look and still keep things affordable. Booties and flats can easily take on any color palette while staying trendy with different heel heights and widths. I tend to go fairly sensible with my shoes so that they last for a while. I think if you are going to purchase, go for something that makes financial and emotional sense.
- Add pops of color through accessories like scarves, purses, jewelry, or even hats by shopping at thrift stores or secondhand shops as I mentioned before. You can get an accessory for under $5, and that can carry you through the season.
Remember, that with all of these, you can also go through your closet and sell a few items to brighten someone’s autumn and, make a few dollars yourself.
If you love fashion or have a favorite outfit or accessory, please follow me on Instagram and tag me at @PaivaPsych
In the mood to shop right now? Here are some of my current picks
~ ~~Tops inspired by early autumn
1. French blue (color of the autumn sky) pinstripe https://amzn.to/3B3PugO
2. A classic yet boyfriend (or husband!) style that is a buttery beige https://amzn.to/3GblFhS
~~Pearls to add formality and luxury
1. Freshwater Pearl Set (for fall, I am a fan of layering pearls, to add formality to the cozier clothing styles) https://amzn.to/3E5ClWb
2. Faux pearls, vegan-friendly https://amzn.to/3ncnNNX
~~Mules for indoor/outdoor polish
1. Socialite, Contessa inspired red mules (there are other colors, but I love the red) https://amzn.to/3C5uUxF
2. Classic colors and penny loafer homage, lightweight mules https://amzn.to/3G872Mt are some of my picks for fall.
Interested in a video? Click HERE
Weekly insights, offers, updates, meditations, and more…